FACE the facts: The best ingredients for glowing skin
The old saying “you are what you eat” has never been truer. One of the most important ingredients for clear and beautiful skin lies in the kitchen. Because of the vitamins and nutrients residing in various nuts, grains and vegetables, turns out that many foods contain much of what you need to maintain not only a healthy lifestyle, but healthy skin as well. Here is a list of 10 ingredients for you to incorporate into your diet to help achieve the glowing skin you’ve always wanted.
1. Sweet Potatoes This blood sugar regulating vegetable has been proven to decrease stress and prevent breakouts. Jam-packed with vitamins and nutrients such as beta-carotene and Vitamin A, sweet potatoes have the ability to improve circulation of oxygen to the skin, keeping your complexion clear!
2. Tofu You don’t have to be a vegan to eat tofu and benefit from its protein, calcium, and unsaturated fats. For anyone suffering from a skin condition, tofu works as a healing agent and is also high in antioxidants. It contains vital minerals to our daily diet such as iron, copper and manganese. Just make sure it’s organic to avoid the issue of GMOs.
3. Nuts Some forms of acne are associated with lower levels of minerals in the body, like zinc and selenium, which Brazil nuts are especially high in. According to research, selenium also boosts the number of white blood cells, increasing your healing power. Nuts are packed full of omega-3 fats (the good kind) that keep complexions hydrated through the rough winter.
4. Brown Rice As opposed to white carbohydrates, brown and wholegrain foods aid in balancing your blood sugar levels by releasing energy throughout the day. Balancing your blood sugar decreases inflammation in the skin, and lowers your chances of developing rosacea and hyper-pigmentation. Brown and wholegrain foods also provide you with Vitamin B, protein, Selenium and magnesium, as well as several other antioxidants.
5. Kale In comparison to its other green and leafy competitors, Kale is exceptionally rich in Vitamin A, B Complex, C, E and K. But wait, that’s not all, Kale also contains high levels of manganese, calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, protein, folate and phosphorus. Enough said!
6. Avocado Avocado has been found to boost skin’s radiance and glow. The vitamin C in avocados reduces skin inflammation while increase collagen levels and boosting hydration.
7. Garlic One of the main benefits of garlic lies within the chemical called allicin. According to research, this chemical has the ability to kill off harmful bacteria in the body that can cause acne or various skin conditions. Garlic is cheap, simple to use, and can be added to almost any meal.
8. Artichoke The antioxidants in artichokes help to lower cholesterol levels and improves luminosity and clarity of the skin.
9. Yogurt As you may know, yogurt and dairy products as a whole contain good amounts of protein. Research has proven that consumption of protein helps to firm skin, reducing wrinkles. Greek yogurt is especially powerful in this regard.
10. Beetroot This purple root is very rich in Vitamin A, as well as potassium, calcium, magnesium, and Vitamin E, all of which help skin heal and stay clear. Overall, beetroot has proven healthy for not only the face, but for the body as a whole. Its combination of vitamins and minerals helps to eliminate toxins in the body and lower cholesterol.
Living a healthy lifestyle is one of the key ways to improve the luminosity of your skin, so think twice before you take a bite and make healthy choices! Your skin will thank you.Sources: Glamour Magazine Fitness Magazine Holistic Vanity