May 22, 2015
Sun Ready Skin
How To Prepare Your Skin For Summer
Sun and fun kicks off officially this weekend – Memorial Day! So prepare your skin for the increased environmental exposure of summer with our 10 tips for summer ready skin!
- Detox with a professional treatment. There’s no better way to prepare skin for any season than with a trip to a professional esthetician. Find a Stemology certified one here.
- Exfoliate. Slough off winter with a good exfoliation. Not only will it help amp up your summer glow, but it also helps to increase cell turnover. Try our Cell Reboot Exfoliating Skin Polisher, which not only exfoliates but also removes oils, toxins and imbedded mirco-particals from skin.
- Switch up your skincare routine. Summer humidity calls for a different skincare routine than winter dry air. Switch up your routine by looking for products that contain lightweight ingredients and oil-free formulations.
- Don’t over wash. With the heat turned up outside, our sweat glands go into overdrive, leading some of us to obsessively wash our face (and body!). But be wary of over washing, which can strip your skin of vital oils that it needs to stay healthy, and in turn cause more skin problems.
- Drink lots of water. Water makes up about 2/3 of our body, and everyday our body loses water simply during its normal processes. But during the summer months that often come with extreme heat, our body loses even more water at a faster rate. So drink up!
- Find products that do double summertime duty! Moisturizer? Check. SPF? Check. Cover-up? Check. But don’t buy three products when you can buy just one – our NEW Cell Renew SunVeil Complete OneTint Moisturizer, SPF 17. This multifunctional, 3-in-1 formula delivers light hydration to skin, while Full Spectrum SPF 17 defends against harmful UVA/UVB rays, and OneTint Technology evens the appearance of skin tone, blurring imperfections.
- Step up your sunscreen. No matter what time of year it is, sunscreen is never an option. But in the summer when people spend the majority of their time outdoors, it’s especially important. Continue your regular sunscreen usage of an SPF 30 or higher, but don’t forget to reapply every hour if you will be outside, are planning to go in the water or if you begin to sweat.
- Don’t skimp on the moisturizer. Especially for those with oilier skin, during the summer months you may feel that your skin is hydrated enough and doesn’t need moisturizer. But, it does! Opt for something light, but hydrating.
- Watch what you eat….not just so you are bikini-ready, but so your body is in peak condition to resist summer sun damage. Up your intake of cooked tomatoes; they are rich in lycopene, an antioxidant that helps fight the effects of UV rays. Or eat a pomegranate, which has been shown to increase your body’s natural defenses against the sun.
- Have your after-sun regimen ready. After a long day in the sun, you can help your skin relax and repair with a specific after-sun regimen. Use a calming cleanser that contains aloe vera to soothe skin, like our Cell Refresh Hydrating Cleanser, and a moisturizer specifically formulated to repair and restore skin after environmental exposure. We recommend our NEW Cell Renew EnviroExpose Repair and Restore Crème; its clinically proven ingredients reduce skin inflammation by 31%!