October 30, 2014
Proper Technique for Facial Cleansing
A Step-by-Step Guide for Clean, Glowing Skin
You could purchase every facial cleanser made, but they only work if you do!. In order to achieve beautifully clean skin, you must take the time to wash your face (properly) morning and night.
The importance of washing your face is to unclog your pores and rid your skin of dirt, bacteria and excess oil, which can leave your skin looking dull, dirty and even age you.
Getting clean skin doesn’t have to take a lot of work. It just requires some time and the proper technique. If you follow this step-by-step guide morning and night, clean, healthy, glowing skin is sure to follow.
- Before touching your face make sure to wash your hands. You don’t want to add more dirt and grime and bacteria - you want to remove it.
- Start by removing your eye makeup, If you are wearing any. Make sure to use gentle strokes as the skin around your eye is thinner and more sensitive to damage so you don’t want to pull skin.
- Wet your face with tepid water, nothing too hot or cold. Lukewarm water will help open up your pores so your cleanser can get in there and get to work.
- Apply a dime-sized amount of your favorite cleanser (we recommend our Hydrating Cleanser for dry skin and our Foaming Facial Cleanser for oily and combination skin types) to your fingertips. Rub your fingertips together and then massage the cleanser into your skin for 30 - 60 seconds in a circular motion working out to your hairline. This is the most important step in the process. You really want to make sure and massage your skin. This will get the oxygen and blood flowing to your skin.
- Rinse off cleanser with cool water, nothing too cold to shock the face, but you want it cooler rather than warmer to close the pores back up.
- If you have a lot of makeup on, or your skin isn’t feeling squeaky clean, repeat steps 3 through 5 above, one more time.
- Pat your face dry using a clean towel. Do not rub the towel over your skin, you could be roughing up and damaging the skin cells. Follow with your favorite toner, treatment product and moisturizer.
A proper facial cleansing is the simplest way to care for, and even improve, the health and beauty of your skin.